Tuesday 22 December 2009

Currently Playing: PixelJunk Shooter



This is the first game I've downloaded in ages. X-Box Live Arcade has become increasingly expensive which, too my mind, goes against the concept somewhat. I prefer the open pricing of Sonys Store which shows things in pounds and pence as opposed to M$ points with games priced in units of 400 and points sold in units of 500 which seems like gross profiteering to me.

Anyhow. This is my first experience of PixelJunk too and I was pleasently surprised. It's a very polished little game. Nice opening, Nice animated menu in the form of your mothership and nice crisp, screen filling, graphics.

Having seen the screenshots I was expecting something akin to Thrust from my childhood and it is vaguely similar requiring you to use a grapple hook to collect little people from various caverns. However over coming gravity is out and twin stick shooting is in.

This means that instead of constantly having to concentrate on just staying alive (the walls of the cavern aren't deadly, you just bounce off) you can concentrate on shooting, rescuing and over coming the elements.

Various sections of the caverns are home to either water, lava or gas and the meat of the game comes from solving puzzles to make these elements combine to clear the areas.

Without doubt the best game I've downloaded all year. And at the price of a couple of pints of lager pretty decent value.

No comments: