Thursday 13 December 2007

Currently Playing : Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

I've put a bit more time into this than I normally would before posting my first impressions purely because I so wanted it to be good. It's not like me to get carried away I know.. But better safe than sorry.

Technically it's a very accomplished looking game for PS3 and proof again that whilst it may not be easy to programme for there's very little excuse for shoddy PS3 games apart from lazy developers. There's some great graphical touches such as Drake's outfit drying in real time and the foliage and fauna is very pretty.

The acutal game itself is pretty much a mix of Gears of War style duck and cover combat and the recent Tomb Raider adventuring. There's not much in the way of puzzles and if your stuck for too long hints pop up on screen steering you on the way. I wasn't a huge fan of the combat at first, especially seeing as I think the amount of ammo you can carry at anyone time is a bit on the tight side, but after a bit of practice it turns out to be quite good fun. All sorts of weapons are left lying around but you can only carry one pistol and one rifle size weapon at a time. This leads to lot of scavangeing on the fly as the bad guys pile in a t quite a rate of knots. The grenade launcher has become a particular favourite of mine.

The exploring is reasonable fun and fluid. I've just reached level 10 and so far the various levels have been varied and good looking. At first I was a little dissappointed with the game. Possibly because my expectations where so high... But it's winning me over. Certainly the plot, whilst hokey, is enough to drive me on and has plenty of Naughty Dogs humour sprinkled about. So perhaps not a classic but certainly a worth while purchase.

No comments: