Thursday 4 December 2008

Currently Playing: Tomb Raider: Underworld

Well I'm just over half way through. So far it's something of a curates egg for me.. Good and bad in parts. For everything I do like there's something that's annoying me. I'd say it was certainly better than Legend but it's not the return to form we'd all been hoping for.

The animation is very nice when it's working but it's jerky whenever it's not working so well and Lara get stuck on stuff far to often for my liking. The wall climbing is a bit hit and miss. The combat sucks (For some reason (perhaps not reading the manual) I can't pull of an adrenalin headshot for love nor money).

The graphics are pretty stunning and the enviroments and puzzles are well thought out.. I've been stuck but often a good look around and I ponder will see me through. The camera though is far too twitchy and it's often difficult to see what exactly what you want to look at. I know she's supposed to be looking at something of interest but her head twitching all over the shop at, as far as I can tell, nothing is very annoying too. On the other hand the grapple that felt tacked on has really come into it's own and I'm loving that she can lower herself safely down on it. I like most of the levels I've visited.. It's proper tomb raiding and not generic adventuring. Oh and I really hate the motorbike.

Overall though it's more than the sum of it's parts and it does capture some of the magic. It turns out though that it is rather short. Certainly compared to the old PS one adventures that where absolutely massive. Whether this is due to the time it takes to make HD content for the latest generation of consoles or, as my good friend Nish thinks, cos they've left half the game off the disc so they can flog it to me as DLC I'm not sure.

I can however see me playing it again on the harder difficulty settings and I'll probably hold on too it so that I can play the DLC too.

No comments: