Sunday 8 August 2010

Currently Playing: SIlent Hill: Homecoming

Regular readers might remember that I played through Silent Hill 2 and 3 in preparation last year for this. A slew of average reviews and I decided to wait until it was cheap. Spotted it in HMV for £15 and picked it up.

It certainly just as horrifying as it's classic predecessors but perhaps not for all the right reasons. For a kick off there's no option to adjust the camera. Which means if, like me, you like to have the Y axis inverted you're going to spend a lot of time looking at the floor. Secondly there's no autosave. Which means you're back to wandering around looking for saves spots and a large chunk of replaying if you happen to die.

Oh and it's hard. Properly hard. I played the previous games on Easy. There's no easy option here and even on the default difficulty items are scarce on the ground. There's very few health packs and not a lot of ammo. Oh and there's monsters.. lots and lots of monsters.. it's not rare to stumble across five vicious nurses in a pack. Which means a lot of combos and lots of dodging.. which for someone whose timing is as bad as mine means a lot of dying.

I've just had to replay about three hours of game (thankfully a keep five saves on the go but I had to go back to the earliest one to get to a point where I hadn't already wanked away all my health and ammo) because I arrived at a Boss battle with half my health and no health items and no ammo. I'd just played through about an hours worth of game without a pick up in sight.. Oh and then I had to sit through an unskippable conversation before I could have another bash.. Enough for one day.

1 comment:

Nish said...

Sounds like it'll have to be a lot cheaper than £15 before I'll have a go.