Saturday 15 November 2008

Hell in a Handcart

I'm currently reading A Snow Ball in Hell by Christopher Brookmyre. Possibly the finest satirist writing novels today. There's a section in the novel that riffs on Simon Cowell and his X Factor culture. Now don't get me wrong. I love Simon Cowell for himself. But I wouldn't buy one of his artists records. Brookmyre hits that target with a bullseye.

I'm watching 2006s X Factor winner Leona Lewis sing Snow Patrols (a band themselves that seem content to revisit former glories in the hope of commercial success) Run. While there's no taking away from her vocal talent you have to wonder what's going on when every ounce of personality has been sucked out of her look and at the same time her army of stylists make her wear a dress that makes her legs look like Colonel Sanders should have applied his secret recipe to them.

I despair for popular culture.

No comments: