Wednesday 6 January 2010

The "Complete" List - 2010

Left 4 Dead 2 - (All Campaigns)
Mass Effect

So I know there was supposed to be a review of the year 2 but in the end I couldn't be bothered.

I picked up Mass Effect for a tenner ages ago because friends have been badgering me to try it. I wasn't sure I'd like it. When I started it I was even more sure. It has a terrible opening few hours. There's conversations with people you don't know about things you don't know anything about.

However after a few hours the plot kicks in and the game gets a whole lot more exciting. Being a bit of RPG noob I let the game take care of my XP, which I kind of regretted later, and set it to easy, which of course I didn't regret later. There's a lot to take in early on and not a lot of clear instruction on what to do (of course I didn't read the manual but I'm reliably informed it's rubbish.)

Anyhow once it does kick in it's a great game. The various plot missions mostly involve blowing everything to bits but they're done in a very Hollywood style. The Mass Effect universe is very convincing as well with as good a cast of ships and aliens as you're likely too see outside of Star Wars.

Suffice to say I've already pre-ordered the sequel which I intend to dedicate a lot more time to and play in a more thorough fashion.. Possibly not on Easy.

2 comments:

Nish said...

I'm playing this at the moment, and whilst it's not KOTOR it's proving to be entertaining. Bayonetta shipped yesterday, though, so I'll probably be on pause for a while. I'll pick up ME 2 later in the year.

Bobsticle said...

I regret not playing KOTOR. I believe it doesn't work particularly well on 360 either.