Saturday 23 January 2010

On the trail of the Origami Killer

It strikes me that David Cage's new game may be more at risk of plot spoilers and reveals than most video games... of course I guess we've all read the previews and hands on so far and thus are aware of the four main characters and the general style of gameplay.

I was about a page into the OPM review when, for the first time I can remember, I decided that I couldn't finish reading the five page, cover story, review of a must buy game. There where two reasons for this. Firstly I had the aforementioned feeling that anything I learnt about the plot or even the game mechanics (I wont pass on anything here but even thumbstick movements) could spoil things. Secondly I didn't like the almost Carry On way they where dealing with the sex scenes...

I'd decided an information black out was require until release. I don't need to read any other reviews since I've decided it's a launch purchase for me come what may. Having said that I couldn't help reading the EDGE preview (the fact that EDGE arrived with it's preview after OPM arrived with it's review you can read into what you want) because I knew they wouldn't let me down. They didn't.

I wonder why a game that features as much graphic, adult, content as GTA IV requires nipple tassles over the strippers breasts.. not that I want to see badly drawn 3D boobs (I've got access to the internet right?) but I wonder what message it sends out to our younger viewers that it's ok to go on rampages of violence and revenge, kill hookers and steal their cash but heaven forbid that one of them should get a naked boob out??

But is the industry and, let's face it, The Daily Mail ready for interactive sex and HD nudity? I'm really not sure. As a nearly 40 year old gamer that's been gaming since I was about 11 I feel I'm ready for whatever Cage has in store. I'm also willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I get my hands on it (F'nar F'nar).. but I still have reservations.

1 comment:

Nish said...

Fahrenheit was good until it went all bollocks at the end. It was a bit JJ Abrams really.