Tuesday 28 September 2010

DLC round up.

First up was Quantum Theory on 360. A sort of poor mans Gears of War but with the usual bonkers Japanese slant. I kind of enjoyed it and it's on my 'bargain bin' list despite a terrible review from EDGE

Next up was Enslaved:Odyssy To The West. Frankly I find just the thought of Andy Serkis annoying and I still have bitter memories of Heavenly Sword where initial delight turned into hating the boss battles. Still it's a very odd level to pick for a demo. Basically Chapter One of the full game it does the basics of tutoring you in how to play the game but is completely linear for the first half. When I say linear I mean it's an actual straight passage. Not inspiring. It's not without potential but I failed to see the Uncharted 2 comparison OPM where bandying about.

Regular readers may remember that Top Gun is my favourite film ever so naturally I was excited about the PSN Top Gun game. Especially as the films script writer was on board. While accessing PSN I thought I may as well download my free DLC to Heavy Rain.

This resulted in abysmal service from PSN. My PS3 was switched on for hours over a course of three days as it struggled with the basics of downloading things. It was slow when it was working and then for reasons unknown it would end up waiting.. for what I never found out. Considering the slick, smooth service from XBL on the same internet service I'll never understand it.

As for the results? Top Gun was very underwhelming and I felt a bit ripped off with the Heavy Rain: Chronicles. There are several endings but basically only one real location, not much to do (apart from open empty cupboards) and it really showed up the limitations of the format.

Much better was the half price offer of The Passing. A new campaign level for Left 4 Dead 2. A decent slab of content and of course shot gunning zombies with mates is always entertaining. Having not played the first game meeting the original survivors didn't mean much, and as yet I haven't finished it but it's everything you'd want from DLC, More of what you enjoyed, a decent length and a cut price. Oh and it downloaded the day it started which is always a bonus.

No comments: