Tuesday 29 September 2009

The "Complete" List

Resistance 2
Mirror's Edge - 360
Quantum of Solace - 360
House of the Dead: Overkill - Story & Directors Cut
Fable 2 - Story Mode
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot - (Liquid Easy)
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Saints Row
Race Pro - Career Mode
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (Easy) - 360
Conan (Easy) - PS3
GTA IV - 360
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Manhunt 2
Prince of Persia
No More Heroes - Real Ending
GTA: Chinatown Wars
Silent Hill 2 - (4 star rating, Leave ending)
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga - DS
Silent Hill 3 - (5 star rating)
Little Big Planet - Story Mode
Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Killzone 2
WET
Halo 3: ODST - (Legendary)

There's been no update on my progress on this for several reasons. Firstly it's short. With four players in co-op, even on Legendary, we clocked the game in just under 5 hours. Secondly I pretty much hated it all. I don't think I've ever disagreed with an EDGE review more. It's like Bungie have learnt nothing in the previous games. The hub City is dark, repetative and dull. Occasionally someone would ask if we hadn't already done this bit.. The last couple of levels are made up of identical corridors and rooms.. and there's the same old bad guys (or so it seemed to me) without even the flood turning up. However it was fun playing with friends.

Mostly I feel though it represents terrible value for money. Yes it comes on two discs.. but did it really need too? I don't have any of the DLC for Halo 3 and I still feel ripped off. The Firefight mode uses levels from the main game, Some of some the new maps are from Halo 2 (Which in one way is fine cos they're better than the levels in Halo 3 but I begrudge paying for them again).

4 comments:

Geoff said...

I have to protest that the co-op 'experience' is not the same as what the Edge reviewers would have had. You only really experience the story by playing through the game solo and watching the cut scenes.

There are some repetitive sections but in reality the buildings that are explored would have been constructed that way. Have you ever gone through the different floors of an office building and find them all wildly different?

The complete £30 package got you a full 8 level campaign with a suitable escalation in difficulty and an expansive hub world to explore with its own sub story to uncover.

They then included a tower defense style multiplayer experience where the target is to rack up a high score by getting headshots, multiple kills and other noteworthy achievements.

Then the cherry on top is the complete multiplayer experience from halo 3 with three bonus never before available maps.

The final inclusion is the beta key for the next multiplayer experience in case you are not satisfied with all they have already provided, I think you would be hard pushed to find any other game offering better value.

UsernameInvalid said...

I haven't played much of the game and don't own it but I am more than 100% that The Orange Box is better value for money.

Bobsticle said...

I didn't really like Firefight Geoff.. it takes ages to get going if I play on Normal and it's over to soon on any thing harder. Plus all that running back and forth for ammo and health is annoying.

But I take your point on board. I'm not going to trade it so maybe I'll have another play through the campaign solo and take the time to watch the story.. not that I find the Halo unniverse terriblyu compelling.

twelthcrusader is right though.. The Orange Box blows it out of the water for value.

Nish said...

I'm glad I held out especially because I don't do multiplayer.

I have issues with the Edge review too, particularly for the reviewer's need to mention the reviewing conditions.