Tuesday 8 September 2009

The "Complete" List

Resistance 2
Mirror's Edge - 360
Quantum of Solace - 360
House of the Dead: Overkill - Story & Directors Cut
Fable 2 - Story Mode
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot - (Liquid Easy)
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Saints Row
Race Pro - Career Mode
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (Easy) - 360
Conan (Easy) - PS3
GTA IV - 360
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Manhunt 2
Prince of Persia
No More Heroes - Real Ending
GTA: Chinatown Wars
Silent Hill 2 - (4 star rating, Leave ending)
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga - DS
Silent Hill 3 - (5 star rating)
Little Big Planet - Story Mode
Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Killzone 2

Obviously PS3 fans are desperate to have a FPS that is a Halo beater. Or the PS3 magazines are. I'm also not entirely sure why this game received so much hype. It's really not healthy.

It is a stunningly gorgeous game. When I played the demo I wondered what all the fuss was about. Everytime I fired the game up I wondered why all games didn't look this amazing. The character models are especially gorgeous having none of the waxy sheen that the Unreal Engine seems to give to everything.

Having said that, to me at least, Killzone 2 feels like an FPS Gears. You've got the same space marines who think helmets are for fools, A cover system, A rubbish story and a similar chunky feeling to the movement..

It's far from perfect though. As fun and hectic as the fire fights are the cover system can feel a bit arbitary in what it will fix too. In standard configuration the PS3 pad feels far from comfortable either for extended peroids.. Having to hold 'L2' to fix to cover, 'L1' to aim down the sight and 'R1' to fire combined with both sticks gave me terrible hand cramp.

The story is forgettable. The AI of your team is, for the most part, terrible. In fact I was quite pleased too discover that you could shoot him to death yourself to get past him when he was happily blocking your path and he'd come back to life automatically at the next checkpoint.

There's a lot of fun to be had though. It really does feel like war. At it's best the combat is intense and action packed with hundreds of bullets ripping through the dust and smoke and the Helghast (the games evil enemy) pouring in..

Also, like Gears it doesn't outstay it's welcome. Even on the easiest setting though I found it incredibly tough. Granted I'm not the worlds best FPS player but the Helghast are incredibly tough soaking up huge amounts of bullets, This combined with guns that require frequent longs slow reloading means that to make any kind of progress on the higher levels you'd need the kind of discpline I just don't possess.

I'm glad I didn't pick it up new, But at £20 I'd say it was an essential PS3 purchase for anyone with a passing interest in shooters.. It'd certainly be the game I loaded up to show off what PS3 can do. If I still had friends (in real life™) that would be interested.. but that's another story.

No comments: