Tuesday 30 March 2010

The "Complete" List

Left 4 Dead 2 - (All Campaigns)
Mass Effect
Lego Rock Band - Story Mode
Darksiders - Easy
BAYONETTA - Easy Automatic
Lego Batman
Call of Duty: Classic - Normal
Fracture - Casual
Dragon Quest: The Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Heavy Rain - Medium
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - Normal
Yakuza 3 - Easy



Perhaps the least complete of anything on the list.. My final tally lands at just over 26 hours play time and 13% complete. There'll be no story spoilers in this blog post at all. The story, whilst bonkers, is half the joy of playing. Lavish cut scenes are augmented with in game engine chat. The brilliant japanese dialogue adds lots to the authentic feel of the game. Of course this also means you have to read a lot (and when I say a lot, I mean a lot) of dialogue but mostly it's well written and fun to follow.

I think for me, being more used to western games recently, is that your left to your own devices most of the time to find all the sub quests and and activities on offer by exploring the world. However the map isn't entirely useful. Even in game the mini map goes against normal convention of the map revolving around you. You really have to explore and learn the layout of the areas to get the most out of it.

For instance i found I could pick up girlfriends at the local burger joint, take them on dates and that owuld eventually lead to side missions and experience. However the game itself gives you little in the way of pointers to where these sorts of activities are. Even when you've found them they don't show up on the mini map.

Overall though I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the experience.. I'll be hanging on to it for another play through with all my cash and experience intact (At least that's what I think it meant at the end).

1 comment:

Nish said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed Y3.

The series can be hard to like because the gameplay is so old school (or typically Japanese). However, the narrative always drives you on and the distractions are distracting.

I'm not starting yet and probably won't for a while. The reason being two-fold: I won't be trading it in so there's no hurry; Y4 is out in Japan.