Friday 29 February 2008

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy II

I've just clocked up my tenth hour on Final Fantasy II so it's probably over due a few words on here. My last experience of a FInal Fantasy game was the famous number seven on PSone where I don't think I progressed off the first disc and my only other experience of a 2d RPG was Legend of Zelda on the GBA. Superficially they make look similar but they actually play very differently what with Zelda being more action based.

Anyone whose familiar with the famous 'Telescope incident' will probably be unsurprised to learn that I'm following a FAQ fairly closely. There's a couple of reason for this. These old skool games don't really break you in gently and what with the constant random battles visiting places in the wrong order can be a chore and secondly I wanted some hints and tips on learning the genres conventions. The only exceptions being that I'm mostly attempting the dungeons on my own and item management is all down to me too.. This has proved a revelation compared to say Skies of Arcadia where I didn't have a clue. In FFII it very clear which items are going to improve a team member and which aren't. It's also easy to experiment with different things.

I'm about a third or so into the game now and while my HP stats are coming along nicely and I have a reasonable spread of abilities through out my party a feel perhaps a more experienced RPG-er would of boosted a few more magical abilities throughout the team.. After some long dungeon crawls I'm now rather flush with cash so hopefully there'll be time to remedy this before long....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.