Monday 2 March 2009

More Recession Busting

Obviouly I couldn't spend a whole month without buying a new CD. I'd probably choose music over video games if I had too. Today U2 release their first studio album for five years. Obviously I was going to get it but which version?

There was a total of four different packages on offer in HMV ranging from £42 for the deluxe pack presumably including a token for a hand job from Bono to the vanilla CD in a jewel case. I can see why they do these things (apart from just fleecing the fans) to encourage people into physical ownership of something more special than just eleven files stored on a hard drive but surely this was a bit over the top?

Last time I bought the deluxe package. It came in hard slip case that wouldn't fit in the CD rack, The hardback 'book' was rubbish containing doodles, sketches and words tossed off by Bono and the boys. Presumably while they where on the studio bog. I guess rock stars can handle more than one shit at a time. The DVD was interesting if very short and the album itself wasn't one of their better efforts.

This time I decided to play it safe and just bought the vanilla CD. I still prefer to go and buy the CD and have it in my hands. The album has had mainly average reviews (Apart from my bible Q which I trust less with five star reviews after the Be Here Now debacle) but more on what I think of it later.

No comments: