Wednesday 18 March 2009

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle was brought to my attention by the Culture section of this weeks Sunday Times and I was very glad it did.

It's a half hour of really old school stand up. There's Lee standing at the front of the stage in a very small 'comedy club' style set up and barring a couple of tiny sketches to illustrate his point that's it.

Fortunately that's all he needs. His humour, like his delivery, is bone dry. This weeks target is the culture of the celebrity hardback, or toilet book if you will. If, like me, you worry about the state of the nations taste in entertainment (I've got nothing against Peter Kaye but I struggle to find what's funny about garlic bread) and you've the patience to wait for a punchline I can't recommend this show highly enough. I watched it again this morning (the first ten minutes where Lee covers Chris Moyles 2nd book and Dan Brown are achingly funny) and had tears in my eyes again.

Here's a link to the first episode on the BBCs iPlayer service. For me it's worth the licence fee alone this year.

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle. Episode One.

No comments: