Tuesday 16 February 2010

The "Complete" List

Left 4 Dead 2 - (All Campaigns)
Mass Effect
Lego Rock Band - Story Mode
Darksiders - Easy
BAYONETTA - Easy Automatic
Lego Batman
Call of Duty: Classic - Normal

This XBLA game was included with my Prestige Edition of Modern Warfare 2 and I was intrigued to play it seeing as I'd completed every other Call of Duty game on my 360.

Considering that it's now a fairly basic looking game and it's installed to the HHD the loading times are terrible. The bar takes forever and then there's a big gap before the last section finishes. I'm also assuming that graphically nothing has been done to sharpen it up for todays huge flat screen HD TVs as it looks pretty awful.

Having said that you can feel the Infinty Ward heritage and it is a good solid game. Actually the first thing you notice is an old fashioned health bar and health packs dotted about. Very old school. The next thing you'll notice is the brutal spacing of the checkpoints. If they register at all combined with the the fact that when it does to choose to autosave at a checkpoint for you you'll respawn with the exact same health you had before you die. It can lead to some teeth grinding frustration.

It actually managed to autosave me, with a tiny bit of health, as I entered a room with two Nazi's gunning straight for me. After many restarts (Happily there is no reloading. It puts you straight back into the action if you want) I worked out that if I started pushing the control stick forward before the game loaded I could just make it through a doorway and to relative safety. It wasn't great for the old blood pressure.

There where many memorable missions and set pieces though and I can see, despite the clunky AI and graphics, why it had the impact it did. I'm not sure whether I can recommend it whole heartedly though. Games don't age too well.

No comments: