Saturday 27 February 2010

Currently Playing: Heavy Rain

This will be a completely spoiler free post and as such I can't really say too much about it. But I want to say something about it. I picked up the special edition in HMV for £45.

For once I opted not to play my iPod but to instead allow the games music to do its thing. I'm rather glad I did because it certainly adds to the experience.

I'm a little disappointed with the characters movement. The head turning and press [R2] to move mechanism smacks a bit of early Resident Evil and occasionally it's hard to get him to line up with things you can interact with. I can't see for the life of me where a direct control scheme mapped to the left stick wouldn't of been better.

I enjoyed both the prologue and the opening titles.. very high production values. I noticed from the titles that David Cage wrote the story. I wonder whether he wrote just the story or all the dialogue? It may have been worth having it polished by a 'proper' writer because just ocassionally it's a little clunky in places.

Mostly though I'm really enjoying it. It's very atmospheric. The game looks and sounds mostly amazing (although some of the characters look more realistic than others) and its certainly not a whole string of QTEs. I'm fairly well versed in the Dualshock pad and so I'm finding the rest of the control scheme very intuative.

So far then I'm very impressed.. I haven't even been introduced to Madison yet.

No comments: