Tuesday 18 May 2010

Currently Playing: Split/ Second Demo

I initally downloaded this for 360 (It's still easier to use X-Box Live.. things download faster and there's no need to install) and was underwhelmed.. It does look amazing but the handling is very simple.. bags of understeer until you tap the brake and then huge amounts of drifting over steer.. It also seemed a bit random as I was in last place with a couple of corners to go on the last lap and then suddenly in first place..

I downloaded the PS3 version and it's (as far as I can tell) technically identical.. However repeated plays of the demo track did start to give me a better feel for it. There's a certain Ridge Racer-ish skill to balancing the drift to get the best line and maintain momentum.

Then it just seemed to click. I think the reason for the simplified driving is so that you can concentrate on the actual race.. Three races in and I was still seeing new parts of the course and experiencing different short cuts and power plays.

There's so much going on that the driving model gives you time to avoid the carnage, concentrate on earning the ability to use your power plays by drifting and drafting and then unleashing them at the best time..

All the reviews suggest a lack of longevity but with Blur around the corner I'll be happy if it gives me a weeks worth of roller coaster thrills and excitement.

2 comments:

Nish said...

I wondered why you DL'd the PS3 version, the pad isn't a natural fit for racers.

Bobsticle said...

Just for the comparison really Nish.. It was idle curiousity really.