Friday 21 September 2007

The "Complete" List

Canis Canem Edit
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Prey
Crackdown
Tiger Woods PGA 07 (career completed)
Call of Duty 2 (regular)
Double Dragon
Resistance: Fall of Man
Loco Roco (All Stages Cleared)
Colin McRae DiRT (Career completed)
Daxter
Forza Motorsport 2 (Career & Arcade 100% complete)
Medal of Honour: Airbourne (Casual)

So I add another game to this years "Done and Dusted"

I'll say a few words about Medal of Honour: Airbourne here. Pretty short at just six levels. The last two ramp up the difficutly (even on casual) to try and disguise this. I'm not sure how this managed an EDGE 7. For the first time I feel a little let down by one of their reviews. It's distinctly average and should of got a 5. It's completely run of the mill. Not devoid of enjoyment but so average it hurts.. I'm not going to list all it's short comings but here's a few.

1. No physics or even moveable objects. Everything's nailed to the floor.
2. Stupid game design. One mission involves destroying some half tracks. Prior to this we've destroyed several tanks using either rocket launcher or special grenades. So naturally we waste a few rockets and grenades trying to get a hit in... Nothing leaves a scratch. It turns out for these armoured truck type vehicles you just have to run past it. The gunner in the turret can't turn so you're now safe. Pull out the standard machine gune. Shoot the gunner. Half track destroyed. Now leaving aside the FUCKING GUNNER can't turn a single degree where's the sense in rockets not doing the job? nevermind whose driving the bloody thing?
3. The worst enemy in the game is a kind of darth vader Nazi with a chaingun. Does the rocket take him? Don't be silly.
4. The "skill drops" need to be found to unlock a couple of achievements. There doesn't seem to be any actual reward for landing on one. You can find them on foot.
5. The most annoying thing is the checkpoint system. Now bearing in mind you can drop into a pretty free form part of the level I can see this could present a problem. But let me give you an example from one level. Your tasked with destroying 4 or 5 AA turrets around a the top level of a circular turret. Now I managed to destroy the first 2 or 3 on my first attempt. Each time getting a checkpoint. Then I died. No problem. Apart from the fact that whislt the AA guns are still destroyed the very same soldiers I'd just killed are now guarding destroyed AA guns.. Meaning I have to fucking do the whole section again... only without having to plant any explosives until I get the last AA gun.. At which point all the remaining soldiers for that section mysteriously dissappear, Pad smashingly frustrating.

2 comments:

Nish said...

Well the psychological barrier of 12 games has been broken - anything else is a bonus.

Didn't the demo of MoH given anything away?

Bobsticle said...

I kind of enjoyed the demo.. I was looking for a bit of mindless FPS action inbetween sessions on Bioshock and from that point of view I suppose it's done it's job.. I just wasn't expecting it to be quite so mindless.