Friday 7 August 2009

The "Complete" List

Resistance 2
Mirror's Edge - 360
Quantum of Solace - 360
House of the Dead: Overkill - Story & Directors Cut
Fable 2 - Story Mode
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot - (Liquid Easy)
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Saints Row
Race Pro - Career Mode
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (Easy) - 360
Conan (Easy) - PS3
GTA IV - 360
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Manhunt 2
Prince of Persia
No More Heroes - Real Ending

Was there ever a game where the saying "You get what you give" was more true? The game is basically 12 boss battles in a row. As Nish hinted there's a couple of surprises along the way but there's an awful awful lot more busy work to be done.

So what makes it such a work of genius? The story is great, The cut scenes and the bosses themselves are all really interesting and humourus. There's lot of lovely little incidental touches as well. Answering the phone by listening to the little speaker in the Wii-mote was brilliant. Playing with the cat. Collecting T shirts. Treasure hunting with Beam Katana.. All great.

But what it really boils down to is getting into the vibe of the game. Visiting the gym between every mission and going for the burn, Earning enough cash to have the best Katana available and upgrading it, Searching for the balls so the drunk russian guy shows you special abilities, Buying the videos and trying to get Golds in all the part time jobs and Assassins missions.

The combat never gets boring despite being very repetitive. I loved the fourth Katana. When Travis unsheathed it just like a Samari I was laughing with joy. Nevermind when I found out I could beat my previous best score of 104 kills by another 16 with it on Assassin mission 17. Brilliant.

There was a lot of things I learnt on the fly. Suddenly finding the bike had a boost button helped me get gold on the bike jump part time job. Wiggling the nunchuck stick when being hit allows you to enter a kind of black mode that was cool.

There was a couple of things I didn't like. I could've done without having to skip through the same conversations everytime I applied for a new job or went in a shop.. and I would've liked the option to restart when I'd failed without having to ride back to the shop and re-apply.. but that's about it.

All the boss battles where memorable and fortunately I already had the Tsubaki III so I could go straight to the final boss battle and see the amazing end... Can't wait for the sequel now.

1 comment:

UsernameInvalid said...

That sounds pretty good. I haven't played the Wii for a bit now but this sounds like it could get me playing.