Monday 10 August 2009

Currently Playing: Silent Hill 2

In what's probably the biggest gap between a First Look and a Currently Playing I once again make a start on Silent Hill 2 (in fact such a long gap there wasn't even a 'First Look' feature on this blog back then).

I figured I might as well start from the beginning again. This time I switched to the 2d control scheme which is much more comfortable to the modern gamer making James walk in the direction your pushing the stick rather than that 3d moonwalking/tank like default controls.

The long walk into Silent Hill itself is still a bit on the dull side but at least the graphics are atmospheric. I don't know what I was thinking before. However after a bit of exploration I got to the first appartment block and the real meat of the game shows itself.. working my way around the spooky appartment block, radio crackling, torch still unfound is genuinely creepy. The map works well illuminating points of interest and I was soon digging out a note book. Although the in game one does a decent job!

My first sighting of pyramid head from within a cupboard while he did unspeakable things to two horrible flesh monsters had me desperately trying to turn my torch off even though it was a cutscene and beyond my control.

Whilst I can't say my visit has been nice I'm very glad I went back.

No comments: