Monday 26 November 2007

Together Alone.. ?

Just browsing the Guardian Arts website (Didn't leave the house yesterday to buy The Times) and they've been publishing a five part list entitled "1000 albums to hear before you die" (Possibly connected to the books of similar title I've seen in Waterstones). Readers where invited to submit albums they felt had been over looked..

Now I consider myself to be reasonably well listened too.. (apart from Jazz, I'm old. Just not that old) but man I'd never heard of 95% of them.. However one hidden gem in the list was Crowded Houses album Together Alone. Released after the better known and more commerical Woodface album it saw Tim Finn leave the band and the remaining members decamp back to New Zealand to write and record.

Together Alone may not feature a single as catchy as "Weather With You" but it's by far their most complete work. I was lucky enough to catch them touring the album and it sounded as good live with the Mauri chorus and drumming as it does on record.

I've tickets to see the re-union Gig in a couple of weeks which I'm looking forward to despite being a touch dissappointed with the new album.

1 comment:

Nish said...

No, it's not just you. Guardian readers are like that - submit the most bloody obscure things ever.

TBH I've completely missed the paper's selection - I don't seem to get much reading done in the staff room these days.