Monday 26 November 2007

Currently Playing: Round Up.

Sunday was spent all star gaming for me. Two new games and a quick update of another in progress.. So let's start from the beginning.

Assassin's Creed

First stop of the day. I can pretty much see everything that EDGE critise in their review but somehow it doesn't matter to me. It's a very on involving game to play. I'd completed the first three assassinations (One in each of the major cities) when I sat down to play. The map screen involved me that each of the three Guilds (The Assassin's Guilds are where you pick up your cases and where you have to reach when the job is done) had a case for me. I arrived in the first city. Got the job but there where no icons on the map to let me know where the investigations could be found. The map screen helpfully tells you to climb high spots to find things out. Sadly said vantage points had already been found and scaled by me. This seemed rather annoying but I wanted to play some more so I headed to the next city. Basically the same thing happeneded again. No investigation icons despite this city having some vantage points left it still did no good. Not happy. I switched the 360 off.

Silent Hill 2


Next up some old school Survival Horror. Old school being the word. I know the mist is part of the atmosphere and the grainy visuals are a tribute to japanese horror movies but man these visuals couldn't have been cutting edge at the time. It turns out it's a long walk to Silent Hill. Literally. About 15 minutes along one path. Along the way you meet one person who obviously tells you to avoid SH. You don't listen. What you can hear is occasional grunts from the mist. Eventually you reach town and realise exactaly how unfriendly games used to be. No tutorial. No button prompts. No hints (Apart from our hero turning is head to look at collectables). No real clue as to where to head in the town. As it turns out, like the first game, some exploration leads to a lot of dead ends. I follow a trail of blood and find a wooden stick and my trusty radio. It was bad enough in the fog before. Now the crackles of static warn of impending attack it starts to get a little bit nervy. I find a key and make my way into the apartments. I save and decide that that's enough for now...

1 comment:

Nish said...

SH 2 is well worth the effort. Some of the stuff in it is so fucked up and freaky. I'm easily frightened anyway but it's one creepy game.